Get ready for a busy travel week ahed! It's the weekend before Thanksgiving and that means a lot of us will be hitting the road. The American Automobile Association is predicting 54.6 million people will travel at least 50 miles from home this Thanksgiving.
To avoid the most hectic times, travel early in the morning on Wednesday or before 11 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Avoid traveling between 4-8 p.m. on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
In general, the best and worst times to be on the road are:
- Wednesday, Nov. 23 — worst times,1 a.m.-8 p.m.; best times, before 8 a.m., after 8 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov 24 — worst times, 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; best times, before 11 a.m., after 6 p.m.
- Friday, Nov. 25 — worst times, 4-8 pm.; best times, before 11 a.m., after 8 p.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 26 — worst times, 4-8 pm.; best times, before 2 p.m., after 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Nov. 27 — worst times, 4-8 p.m.; best times, before 11 a.m., after 8 p.m.
This year is expected to be the third-busiest for Thanksgiving travel, approaching 98 percent of pre-pandemic levels, since AAA began tracking it in 2000.