The average American eats 51 chocolate bars per year - and we're the largest consumers of candy in the world, so it goes without saying that we take our candy bar consumption seriously! But since we're also health conscious, Huffington Post decided to ask three nutrition experts to rank the country's top selling candy bars from healthiest to least healthy.
Top selling candy bars in the United States - 2018:
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar
- Kit Kat
- 3 Musketeers
- Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme
- Reese’s Sticks
- Almond Joy
- Milky Way
- Hershey’s Gold
Unfortunately, there was not a consensus but here's what the nutritionists said:
- One nutritionist chose Snickers as her healthiest based on the lowest amount of saturated fat. Snickers contain a lot of sugar so the recommendation was to make it your sweet treat of the day.
- Another picked the Hershey bar as least offensive. It had the "most pure" ingredients with milk chocolate and not much else.
- The third picked Reese's Sticks for the small level of saturated fat.
Just so you know...numerous medical studies have shown that eating chocolate in moderation could actually prolong a person’s life by reducing the risk of blood clots forming and it’s ability to fight bad cholesterol.
Photo: Getty Images