28 Grammy Winner, legendary music producer, film producer, Quincy Jones tells all about Michael Jackson's secrets, dating Ivanka Trump, Marlon Brando's secret life, making money in the entertainment business and more
84-year-old Quincy Jones, sat down with Vulture's David Marchese to talk candidly about his past, and his current worldviews.
Here are 27 keynotes from the conversation/interview:
- Quincy Jones would give Michael Jackson a hard time about his plastic surgery
- Michael Jackson's "Baby Be Mine" was inspired by John Coltrane (Jazz musician) and Bebop music.
- Quincy believes Michael had a problem with his looks because of his abusive father.
- Michael Jackson "stole a lot of stuff (songs)." Billie Jean was inspired by Donna Summer's "State of Independence"
- He believed Hillary Clinton had too many secrets that backfired on her during the election
- Quincy believes Chicago mobster Sam Giancana had a hand in the assassination of President John F. Kennedy
- Jimi Hendrix was intimidated by Toots Thielemans, Herbie Handcock, Hubert Laws, Roland Kirk.
- He believed The Beatles were the worst musicians in the world. Paul McCartney was the worst bass player he's ever heard. Ringo's drumming was once replaced with Ronnie Verrell's (jazz drummer) on a recording.
- Microsoft executive, Paul Allen, was an amazing instrumentalist who could hang with the greats
- We're in the worst place as a country now than before
- He admits that women had to put up with a glass ceiling in entertainment over the decades
- Quincy admitted that he used to date Ivanka Trump and was close to the Trumps. He insisted that Ivanka had the most beautiful legs he's ever seen.
- He doesn't think Oprah should run for president
- In 1964, Frank Sinatra convinced many Las Vegas clubs to allow African-Americans in
- Bono (U2) won't allow Quincy to stay anywhere in Dublin, Ireland except his castle because he believed Ireland was too racist.
- Cyndi Lauper didn't like the song "We Are The World" but recorded it anyway.
- John Coltrane and many jazz players were inspired by Thesaurus of Scales and Melodic Patterns book by Slonimsky
- He believes music today is too inspired by money and is not innovative enough
- A great singer can't save a bad song
- He loves listening to Bruno Mars, Chance The Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Ed Sheeran, Mark Ronson, and Sam Smith
- He believes Shawn Fanning killed the music business 20 years ago
- Actor Marlon Brando may have had sex with James Baldwin, Richard Pryor, and Marvin Gaye.
- He had a breakdown while working on the movie score for The Color Purple
- He hears similarities in Asian and African Music
- He's launching Qwest TV (a musical Netflix) service
- He gave up alcohol 2 years ago and feels like a 19-year-old again
- He didn't make "the big bucks" in the music business until he worked with Michael Jackson, producing for TV (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Mad TV).